Re: Informal survey (was Re: Banner ads)

On 25 Oct, Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:

> No, the 'inevitable' social change happens because it is a good idea.
> Plain and simple.  What Bucky Fuller called "First Class Evolution"
> We all use flush toilets and most of us have central heating because
> both are really good ideas.  No one had to lobby for flush toilets.
> No one had to launch an advertising campaign.

Why do you have a problem with the LDP wanting to do it? ie, produce
free documentation? All you're proposing is that it take a step
backwards.

> If we have bad press, and if that press has valid concerns, then we
> should fix those concerns.  If we were victims of a slur campaign,
> we won't win anyone by spending our resources in debate, but we
> will win if we respond with a better system.  If the red light goes
> on, do you argue with the car or check your oil?

I'm not sure what relevance this has to the point in question.

> The moral: Treat the disease, not the symptoms.

Yes, so why do you want to disease the LDP?

> If they see some swimming well, others floundering, they will ask
> "why does Terry swim so well" and copy him.  They will try his hair
> style, the brand of beer he drinks, but as soon as they discover it
> is because he read the free docs for the free software, they will
> know it is the Right Thing the same way you and I both recognized
> our more efficient path to learning Linux was the free docs.

and if they see the LDP, arguably the most successful free
documentation project around that once used to produce completely free
documentation, but now includes non-free documentation in its library,
they'll know they won't need to bother with worrying about whether to
do free stuff any more, non-free is ok.

If you think there is some good value to be obtained by bringing free
and non-free documentation under one umbrella then go create one, but I
don't see why you want the LDP to be that organisation.

I can't help but think that you're confused and don't really know what
it is that you're seeking: Lots of Linux documentation, or lots of free
Linux documentation.

Terry

--
terry@animats.net, terry@linux.org.au, terry@albert.vk2ktj.ampr.org