Re: [mjr@iki.fi: Re: Resuming HOWTO posting]

>David Lawyer wrote:
>
>> With about 200 mirror sites, is there much point in posting HOWTOs to cola?
In the above context cola = c.o.l.answers.

Sandy Harris wrote:

>Certainly c.o.l.announce should get all major announcements, things like
>publication
>of a new Handbook, a new mirror if it is particularly fast or well-located, ...

Agreed.  But, I wasn't talking about c.o.l.announce.

>> If there is and it's easy to to, then OK.  But if it will take some
>> time to write scripts to implement it, then it might be best to just
>> abolish the newsgroup.
>
>Quite difficult, not within the LDP's scope, and not a good idea.

We're talking about abolishing c.o.l.answers.  I just checked it and it
seems dead (nothing recently posted) so in a sense it has almost been
abolished.

>> "Answers" is just too broad of a topic for a Linux newsgroup.
>
>Nonsense. There are many *.answers newsgroups and have been for years.
>They exist
>mainly for FAQs, but any informative periodic posting should be OK.

If there is significant interest in "answers" why is not anyone posting
there?  Isn't "misc" a better name for answers to miscellaneous Linux
questions?  We also have a number of specific Linux newsgroups and need many
more as the traffic on some is over 100 postings a day.  But I don't see
much of a need for one named "answers".  So we could suggest that
"answers" be abolished and that several new linux newsgroups be created.
I don't follow any of them, but those that do should have some ideas on
what new ones are needed.

>Any Linux FAQ document posted either to another newsgroup or to the web should also
>appear in at least c.o.l.answers, comp.answers (all computer FAQs) and news.answers
>(all FAQs).

				David Lawyer