Re: Feedback

"Blier, Mark (305) 375-3566" wrote:

> Thank you for a very intriguing and useful bulletin about Linux.  It seems
> that the more I read about Linux, the more interested I become.
>
> But, I keep asking myself one thing:  Is there yet such a thing as the
> DEFINITIVE, or FULL or OFFICIAL version of Linux?  I would hate to install
> some version, only to find that it is incomplete.

Linux is the kernel, what you are looking for is a Linux distribution
with all the utilities and configurations. Not surprisingly there is
a HOWTO for your very question:
	http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Distribution-HOWTO.html
and more complete, frequently updated lists can be found in
the Linux Weekly News
	http://lwn.net/
specifically the column aptly named "Distributions", recently:
	http://lwn.net/2000/0518/dists.phtml
numbering about 120 diferent distributions.

> I still keep looking for the best and most complete version,, and I wish you
> all success with this project.

Completeness depends on platform: Intel 32 bit, Alpha 64 bit,
Palm Pilot, routers etc. It all depends, and that is why there
are so many distributions to choose from.

Assuming you have a Pentium PC of some sort I would look into
Debian, SuSE and Mandrake and then go to Freshmeat
	http://freshmeat.net/
to pick up what you want.

Finally, this list is stricktly for the discussion of the documentation
project (LDP), I believe you will find faster and more complete answers
in more suitable fora elsewhere. This followup is crossposted to the
list as a submission to a sorely needed FAQ.

Regards,
   Stein Gjoen