Re: search capability (was: Re: [OT] OpenSource Documentation Fund)

Miles says that he has the OMF returning XML and close to being
ready. I'll ask him to reply to you on the capabilities as they now
stand. We could use a few folks to try out the alpha version soon, so if
it's okay with you we'll announce it here. We'll begin with the how-to's
that gregferg has marked up.

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Greg Ferguson wrote:

> On May 28,  3:10pm, der.hans wrote:
> > Subject: Re: [OT] OpenSource Documentation Fund
> > On Sat, 27 May 2000, John wrote:
> > BTW, just for the record, I'd like to be able to specify what area to
> > search in, e.g. HOWTOs, guides, FAQs, man pages or Linux Gazette.
> > Actually I think HOWTOs and guides should be lumped together for now.
> > I'm looking for distinctly different info in the HOWTOs and FAQs for
> > instance. Currently searches at the LDP seem to return tons of stuff
> > from the Linux Gazette that hides what I'm looking for in the other
> > areas. Especially for the LG it would be nice to be able to give a
> > date range for the docs.
>
> try the new permutation. It's better, but not 100% what I'd like to
> provide - http://www.linuxdoc.org/search.html
> (toggle the "look in:" option menu to delimit)
>
> --
>
> I'd really like to see a category-style search/browse capability
> put together (a la Yahoo), but we  need to have documents
> classified properly. Similar to what was proposed by Kim Lester
> (kim@dfusion.com.au).
>
> Paul will the OMF search mechanism (when ready) give us that
> capability?
>
> 	Ferg
>

> --
> Greg Ferguson     - s/w engr / mtlhd         | gferg@sgi.com
> SGI Tech Pubs     - http://techpubs.sgi.com  |
> Linux Doc Project - http://www.linuxdoc.org  |
>

> --

                             Paul Jones
   "We must protect our precious bodily fluids!" General Jack D Ripper
http://MetaLab.unc.edu/pjones/ at the Site Formerly Known As SunSITE.unc.edu
  pjones@MetaLab.unc.edu   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071