Re: Rep:Re: Permission to submit HOWTO

On Jun 11,  1:24am, Guylhem Aznar wrote:
> Subject: Re: Rep:Re: Permission to submit HOWTO
> On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 09:08:33PM -0700, Gary Preckshot wrote:
> > 7) LDP may have a policy, but no one seems to know
> > what it is beyond using SGML with some
> > indeterminate DTD. Despite blizzards of blather
> > about the wonderfulness of SGML, about the only
> > thing going is conversion into a few other
> > formats.

Gary, I beg to differ. Utilizing the DocBook SGML HOWTOs I was
able to build a parser to create XML (from the SGML) to feed the
metalab (paul jones' team, et al) OMF engine. There is no
possible way this could have been done effectively using just
HTML.

Yes, this is still a work-in-process, but be advised that
work is being done to utilize structured mark-up for a more
effective/augmented mode of retrieval (in addition to the
"shotgun-blast" full-text search we currently use).

Also, please do not trivialize the conversion to other formats
and it's usefulness; not to mention it's usage in the localization
process.

> > 8) It's not clear which validation and conversion
> > tools work with what.
>
> I see 2 ways to do that :
>  - try to discuss and reach a consensus (anarchy)
>  - impose a decision (dictatorship)
>
> I did prefer a 3rd way, which is a group of volunteers, led by Jorge
> Godoy and Greg Fergusson discussing of the problems with other
> volunteers, finding solutions which will have to be "imposed".
>
> The ones willing to help are free to join the team, the ones
> who don't care will just have to trust them.

Guylhem, I don't think this is necessary. A lot of these issues
are already being addressed/discussed on our various mailing lists.

I think the tools and processes are pretty well-defined at this
point. MarkK, with input from various individuals, is helping
to clarify this in the H-H. Yes, there is still *much* work to be
done, but we are making solid progress (maybe it's not as
fast as some may like, but...).

r,

--
Greg Ferguson     - s/w engr / mtlhd         | gferg@sgi.com