Document preparation help

I am trying to write a HOWTO that would benefit greatly from an active table
and want to know if anybody can help me do this.

What I am doing is writing instructions on how to install any two O/S's
together on a single disk.  So I'd like to display a table/matrix with the O/S
names as the coordinates and have each cell hyperlinked to a chapter or
page of instructions appropriate to those two O/S's.  I'd also want to keep
each combination as a Table of Contents entry.

Can someone give me a SGML template I can use for this?  Is this too complex
for a HOWTO?  I know this would break as text, will it break during conversion
to other formats (PDF, Postscript etc.) also?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob Schultz
rwschul@smart.net