Future of jadetex (Was: First Open Source Documentation Summit at the O'Reilly Open Source Convention

On Wednesday 19 July 2000, at 15 h 45, the keyboard of Sebastian Rahtz
<sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> wrote:

> i really cannot see why you want to stick with SGML and DSSSL. why not put
> the effort into XSL FO?

Because there is a free "free as in free speech, not free as in free beer"
tool for DSSSL, which works on all Unices? And XSL implementations need a
non-free Java virtual machine or are too new/buggy? If you have documentation
to write *today*, DSSSL is the solution.

Also, if you don't write your stylesheets yourself, which is the most common
case for DocBook, DSSSL stylesheets are better debugged, better documented,
more robust, etc.

>  a) it perpetuates the writing of "style" in LaTeX

Which does it and does it well, while DSSSL failed to produce something.

>  c) it makes the whole DSSSL stage fairly redundant

You can write the DocBook2LaTeX in Perl or Python, it's not a problem for me.