Re: Navigation, was Re: Idea : common dir and tree

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Greg Ferguson wrote:
> > Tree structure (FHS compliant, ref http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ ):
> >
> > /
> >   usr/
> >     share/
> >        HOWTO/        - the HOWTOs in HTML format goes here
> >          index.html  - Our cover page (*)
> >          00-index    - a contents list for file and FTP browsers
> >          (other relevant pages linked to from index.html above)
> >          text/       - same HOWTOS but as plain text
> >          PDF/        - same HOWTOS but as PDF
> >          PostScript/
> >          SGML/
> - Is it just me, or is anyone else annoyed by upper/mixed-case? :-)
>   I'd personally like to see lower-case used for all the sub-dir names,
>   but that's simply a personal preference.

It's not just you. I would much rather see all lower-case directory names,
including the HOWTO directory. It's much more in keeping with ESR's theory that
the common UNIX directory names evolved and were eroded into easy nubs.
However, if you guys decide to keep "HOWTO" upper-case because it's already
well known, then please make the subdirectories lower-case. (This has the added
advantage of keeping the directories in an easy to follow alphabetical order
via plain-jane "ls" or most FTP clients.)

My $0.02...

Dan

--
Dan Scott,