Re: [Re: Navigation, ...

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 10:35:12AM +0200, Stein Gjoen wrote:

> Hal Burgiss wrote:
>
> > I wonder if each HOWTO (FAQ, etc) could have a 'KEYWORD' section,
> > maybe even behind a comment so it is invisible to the end user.
> > Then some clever soul could come with something like what
> > makewhatis is for man pages based on the keywords. Then something
> > like apropos to pull up a list of Docs that match. Even slicker to
> > output it into HTML or some other format where each Doc is
> > selectable from the generated list. Just thinking out loud ...
>
> That, along with a short synopsis line, has been suggested in the
> past and noone disagreed then.
>
> The idea was to use it for <META> tags in HTML and for generating
> stub man pages.

Would not a searchable index based on keywords not be a good idea too?
Just speaking as a regular user, I would love to have something
similar to 'apropos'. Something quick and easy to pop up a list of
relevant docs.

I don't think technically this would be very challenging at all. In
fact, with just some fairly straightforward scripting I think
something meagerly passable could be done, and would be quite useful.

The real work would be getting the keywords in there to start with.
And then LinuxDoc vs DocBook is a fly in the ointment too.

And yes, if it seems workable, I would volunteer to the extent of what
I know. <g>

--
Hal B
 hburgiss@bellsouth.net