Re: Announcing the minimalistic Template

Hal> On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 12:42:37PM +0100, Stein Gjoen wrote:
>>  Also I hear some recent distributions (Redhat?) no longer include LDP
>> archives, is this true??

Hal> Redhat 'basic' is 4 CDs. The documentation is on the 4th CD, but I
Hal> suspect a lot miss this. When I upgraded, I saw no option for
Hal> upgrading these packages.

Hello all,

    I hope you don't mind the interruption, but since I'm the person
responsible for the Red Hat Linux documentation CD, I thought I could
possibly clarify the situation a bit.

    The Docs CD does contain the LDP archives, in both directly-browsable
form, and in RPMs.  This lets people either pop the CD in to get to the
documentation (if their need is occasional, or free disk space is low), or
install the documentation on their system for faster access.

    At present, the process of installing (or upgrading) Red Hat Linux does
not include processing the RPMs on the Docs CD.  This is due to a
combination of issues, most notably the timing between production of the
Docs and O/S CDs, and the way in which the installation program processes
additional CDs.  We're working on this, but we're not there yet.

    In the meantime, the documentation-related RPMs can be installed
manually (this process is outlined in the CD's main HTML page).

Hal> Also, I don't know how cheapbytes, etc handle this.

    Me neither (although I hope they do the right thing, and include the
    Docs CD)...

                                Ed
--
Ed Bailey        Red Hat, Inc.          http://www.redhat.com/