Re: Cyrillic HOWTO: raised from the dead (unmaintained)

On 12 Dec 2000 23:42:38 -0500, Alexander L. Belikoff wrote:
> David Lawyer <dave@lafn.org> writes:
> > On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 10:52:23PM -0500, Alexander L. Belikoff wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm resuming my work on the Cyrillic HOWTO. As of now, my priority #1
> > > would be converting it to DocBook. Since I am definitely not up to
> > > date w/ the current state of things in the LDP (as well as not
> > > familiar w/ DocBook), I'll appreciate all kinds of tips/pointers
> > > related to the process (especially conversion tools). Since the two
> > > DTDs are so different manual conversion would take some time...
> >
> > If you look at the LDP site you'll find it's already machine-converted
> > to DocBook.
>
> I am not sure I can find it... The only one I found is in
>
>         http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/unmaintained/sgml/
>
> ..and it is a LinuxDoc source.

Hmm, you're right.  Let me go convert that to DocBook.  Assuming that I
haven't fouled anything up, it should now be available at:
http://www.ibibio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/unmaintained/docbook/Cyrillic-HOWTO.sgml.gz

Let me know if I've broken something that you can see.

> > But I'm an advocate of keeping HOWTOs in LinuxDoc and suggest
> > spending most of your time on improving the content of the HOWTO.
>
> Could you please elaborate on that? In particular, what if I have two
> copies: LinuxDoc based and DocBook based? Which one should I keep
> maintaining? I assumed LDP is going DocBook...

Do you already know LinuxDoc?  If not, don't bother learning it, it's a
pretty useless and ugly format.  Instead, pick up DocBook, which is
easiest done by using some validating editor, such as Emacs coupled with
PSGML.  Take a look at the LDP Author's Guide for some more info, and
feel free to contact me with any questions you might have with regards
to taking advantage of Emacs/psgml.  For a lot of other questions (and
perhaps emacs/psgml questions too), the fastest response can be had by
emailing docbook@linuxdoc.org, or ldp-docbook@lists.linuxdoc.org
(obsolete).
Is there anybody on the list with some free time who can improve the
automagicly created DocBook for this HOWTO?

    Greg